Pickard China was established in Edgerton, Wisconsin in 1893 by Wilder Austin Pickard, and moved to Chicago in 1897. For forty years the Pickard China Studio, as the firm was then known, was a decorating company specializing in hand painted art pieces, dessert and tea sets. Many of the original artists were from the Art Institute of Chicago. The staff was increased by renowned ceramic artists from all the countries of Europe. Since most of the china was manufactured abroad at the time, the Pickard studios imported blank ware to be decorated. These pieces are now sought after by collectors.